Low-Carb Gluten Free Gumbo
- 1.5 lbs Raw Chicken
- Qt water
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 12 oz Andouille sausage sliced
- 1 lb raw shrimp; peeled, deveined, tail off
- 5 TBS butter
- 4 TBS Namaste Gluten Free Perfect Flour Blend
- 1/2 large sweet onion diced
- 4 large celery stalks sliced small
- 1/2 bell pepper diced
- 1 cup fresh okra sliced *optional
- 4 garlic cloves diced
- 3-4 cups chicken or beef stock I use the stock from the shredded chicken
- 2 TBS Cajun seasoning
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place 1.5 lbs. of raw chicken in large stock pot on medium-high heat.
- Fill with about 6 cups of water, covering all of the chicken, add 2 tsp of sea salt.
- Cover and bring to a boil, turn down and let simmer for 45 minutes. Turn off and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Drain, saving 4 cups of the chicken stock, and shred. Set aside.
Sausage and Shrimp
- Place sliced andouille sausage in the same stock pot, on medium heat, browning the sausage.
- When sausage is browned, add shrimp cooking until pink. Place in separate bowl and set aside.
Gluten Free Roux
- In the same large stock pot, melt butter on low-medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk in Namaste gluten free flour making sure all clumps are gone.
- Allow to simmer on low heat until a light brown color. Do not over cook! Gluten free flour will get gummy/lumpy unlike regular flour.
Putting all the Gumbo together
- Add diced onion, sliced celery, bell pepper, okra, and garlic to the roux. Cook stirring often until vegetables are tender.
- When vegetables are tender stir in all ready cooked sausage and shrimp.
- Add 3-4 cups of water (depending on how much liquid you like) and seasoning.
- Stir in shredded chicken. Let all ingredients simmer together for about 10 minutes.