Low Carb “Un-breaded” Chicken Parmesan
- Cast iron skillet
- 9X13 Baking Pan
- 9×9 Baking Pan
- 4 lbs raw chicken breast sliced thin like a cutlet and tenderized
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 2 TBS butter
- 4 garlic cloves
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups homemade vodka sauce See recipe below
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Thinly slice chicken breast like a cutlet, tenderize, salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
Prepping Cast Iron Skillet
- Place olive oil, butter, and garlic in large cast iron skillet. Heat on medium heat to bubbling.
- Place as much chicken as you can fit in the hot skillet. Brown on both sides.
- When finished browning on both sides, place on a paper towel lined plate to rest. Place the additional prepped chicken in the skillet repeating steps until all the chicken is cooked.
Preparing for Baking
- Place 3/4 cup of premade vodka sauce (recipe to follow) in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish (I had to also use an additional 9×9 baking dish). Place chicken on vodka sauce in a single layer. Cover chicken with 3/4 cup vodka sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 min. I also broiled the top for about 2 min because I like my cheese crispy. Let rest for 5 min. Heat any additional left over vodka sauce to add additional to chicken when serving. Serve along spaghetti squash or zoodles. Or with your favorite side veggie or salad.
- 2 TBS butter
- ¼ small sweet onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes *optional
- ¼ cup vodka
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1-28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups of red sauce from meatball recipe or additional canned crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup fresh basil chopped
- In a large pot, heat butter, add diced onion and garlic, sauté for 4-6 minutes.
- Add vodka, simmer to reduce, about 4-6 minutes.
- Add heavy whipping cream, bring to a simmer and turn heat down to low.
- Be sure not to over cook cream sauce.
- Add crushed tomatoes and Italian red sauce (if you do not have any add additional crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce).
- Stir in fresh basil.
- Cook on low for 20 minutes.