Italian Beef is slow cooked and then typically served in a hoagie bun along side the au jus from the meat. When watching carbs it is delicious served in a bowl either by itself or on top of sautéed veggies. We slow cook our chuck roast on our Traeger to prepare the tender shredded beef. If you do not have a smoker you can cook the meat in a crock pot, oven, or Instant pot.
- 1 TBS sea salt
- 1 TBS onion powder
- 1 TBS garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4-5 lbs. chuck roast
- shredded chuck roast, fat removed
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 cup broth from cooked meat or beef bone broth or more if needed
- 4 oz. pepperoncini's chopped
- 1/4 cup pepperoncini juice from the jar
- 6 oz. Giardiniera mix chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- Trim any excess fat on the chuck roast. Mix together rub ingredients. Rub onto the roast.
Meat on the Traeger
- Preheat Traeger to 225.
- Place roast directly Traeger for 2 hours.
- Remove roast and wrap in aluminum or place chuck roast in a large roaster or Dutch oven covered.
- Increase Traeger heat to 265.
- Place covered roast back on Traeger for an additional 4-5 hours.
- Remove roast and let rest for 20 minutes covered. Save meat juices to use as broth.
Meat in the crock pot
- Place seasoned chuck roast in crock pot with 1 cup of beef bone broth.
- Cook on low heat for 8-10 hours. Save meat juices to use as broth.
Meat in the oven
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat 1 TBS of olive oil in a roasting pan safe to use on the stove top.
- Place seasoned roast in the heated pan and sear on both sides for 5-7 minutes.
- After meat is seared, add 1` cup beef bone broth.
- Cover meat and place in the heated oven for 3 1/2 hours.
- Remove and let rest for 20 minutes. Save meat juices to use as broth.
Meat in the Instant Pot
- Heat 1 TBS of oil on sauté setting in the Instant Pot. Sear roast on both sides.
- Add 1 cup of beef bone broth after searing.
- Cover Instant Pot with lid. Switch to pressure cook on high for 70 minutes.
- When cook time is up allow instant pot to quick release. Save meat juices to use as broth.
- After roast has rested thinly cut or shred meat.
- In a deep large sauté pan heat olive oil.
- Sauté onions until tender. Add beef.
- Add chopped pepperoncini's, pepperoncini juice, chopped Giardiniera mix, seasonings, sea salt and pepper.
- Allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes or longer. You may need to add more broth if cooking for extended amount of time.
- Serve with your favorite sautéed veggies or along side a salad.
Serving: 834.6oz.Sodium: 1343.5mgSugar: 1.2gFiber: 1.1gPotassium: 94.3mgCholesterol: 106.3mgCalories: 423kcalSaturated Fat: 12gFat: 28.8gProtein: 34.6gCarbohydrates: 6.5g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!