Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 3 lbs. chicken breast
- 6 cups of water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 TBS olive oil
- ¼ of an onion diced small
- 15 oz can Hunt’s tomato sauce
- 2 TBS tomato paste
- 2 cups of chicken stock/broth
- 1 TBS chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 lbs Shredded chicken
- Enchilada sauce
- 15 oz Petite diced tomatoes
- 7 oz Green chiles
- *diced jalapeno optional
- 2-3 cups Chicken stock or broth
- Place raw chicken breast and salt in a stock pot with the 6 cups of water and 1 tsp of salt.
- Bring chicken to a boil covered.
- Once at a boil turn down and let simmer for 45 minutes.
- When done remove chicken from pot, saving 5 cups of the stock for enchilada sauce, place on a cutting board to cool.
- When cooled, shred chicken.
- Start your enchilada sauce in a the same large stock pot used for cooking the chicken.
- Saute the diced onion in olive oil, about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, chicken stock, and seasonings.
- Let simmer for 5-7 minutes stirring often.
- Add cream cheese cooking until all melted in, may need to be whisked.
Assembling the Soup
- Leaving the enchilada sauce in the large stock pot, add the petite diced tomatoes, green chiles, and optional jalapenos.
- Add shredded chicken and another 2-3 cups of chicken stock or broth.
- Let flavors simmer together for about 20 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings!