Italian Red Sauce
- 1 TBS olive oil I use Kirkland brand from Costco
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 2-28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes I use Hunt’s or Cento
- 1-28 oz can of tomato sauce I use hunts or Cento
- 2 tsp of dried basil ground in spice mortar
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme ground in spice mortar
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram ground in spice mortar
- 1 tsp dried oregeno ground in spice mortar
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped sweet basil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- *1/2 tsp of stevia *optional ingredient only used if the sauce is tasting very acidic.
- Heat up olive oil in a 6+ quart heavy duty stainless steel stock pot on medium heat. Once heated add in chopped garlic. Let sauté for 2-3 minutes, be sure to not let the garlic burn.
- Stir in pureed onion, bell pepper mix.
- Turn heat down to low, add cans of crushed tomato and tomato sauce.
- Stir in all dried spices, fresh basil, salt, and pepper.
- Let simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes or longer for more flavor. I cook mine on low heat all day with the meatballs in it.
Makes 11 – 1 cup servings. Calories per serving: 85. Fat per serving: 1g; Carbs per serving 15g; Protein per serving: 3g.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!