Fish For Good Friday
Good Friday is a day that Christians commemorate the death of Jesus Christ. This day falls on the Friday before Easter Sunday. Many Christians spend this day mourning, fasting, praying, and repenting. In our house we have taken on my husband’s family tradition of eating fish on Good Friday. We also have adapted his families traditional Easter Sunday meal that his mother made which includes Ham, Chile Relleno Casserole, Crème Brule French Toast, and what we call “funeral potatoes.” I grew up going out to brunch on Easter as my mom was busy directing the Church Choir and had no time to prep brunch. I loved being able to marry into these new traditions my Mother-In-Law shared with me.
My Good Friday dinner I typically make is a homemade clam chowder with whole frozen clams in the hard shell. This year I might be making something a bit lighter like this Cilantro Lime Salmon and mixed greens, dressed in Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette. Some other great lighter options would be my Shrimp Scampi with Zoodles, Grilled Cilantro Shrimp, Lemon Basil Salmon, or Shrimp Tacos.
Cilantro Lime Salmon
- 2 lbs salmon
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1 1/2 TBS olive oil
- 3/4 bunch cilantro chopped
- 3 tsp coconut aminos
- 3 tsp swerve brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- pepper to taste
- Combine garlic, olive oil, lime, cilantro, coconut aminos, swerve, salt, and pepper in a small glass bowl.
- Place salmon on a large piece of aluminum foil.
- Pour marinade over the top. Let rest for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium to high heat.
- Enclose salmon in the aluminum foil with marinade left on.
- Place on preheated grill for 16-18 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and let rest for 5 minutes covered.
- Serve with your favorite vegetable or salad.
Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 oz fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 TBS aged traditional balsamic
- 2 tsp monk fruit *more if desired
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until pureed.
- Serve on mixed greens.