Low-Carb, Full of Flavor, Cinco De Mayo!
I love cooking Mexican food, which is why I make so many spins on Mexican dishes. There is so much flavor in the food, making it easy to create incredibly delicious low-carb dishes. This weekend we had carne asada. My kids love this meat so much they don’t even use tortilla shells. I use fresh squeezed oranges and coconut aminos, in place of the often used orange juice and soy sauce, to marinate all day. I served it in my low-carb tortilla shells, with queso fresco, my homemade guacamole, pico de gallo, and mango salsa. The beverage of choice was my Jalapeno Blackberry Margarita! Yum!
If you do not have the time to make the homemade tortilla shells pick up a package of the Siete Almond Flour Tortillas. Can be found on Amazon, at most local grocers, Walmart, Fred Meyer, etc. My tortilla recipe is lower in calories and carbohydrates.
- 3 lbs Flank or Skirt Steak I use 2 flank steaks
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 2 large oranges
- 2 limes
- 2 TBS white wine vinegar
- 2 TBS coconut aminos I use Coconut Secrets
- 4 garlic cloves minced or chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno diced more or less if desired
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Squeeze juice from orange and lime into a large glass or stainless steel bowl.
- Whisk in olive oil, vinegar, coconut aminos, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Add meat, turn until well combined and all the meat is covered.
- Marinate covered in the fridge all day. At least 4+ hours.
- Remove meat from the fridge about 30 minutes before grilling.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- When grill is heated, place flank steak on the grill. Grill each side about 5 minutes. Times may vary due to thickness of meat and the grill.
- Remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice thinly.
- Serve on my homemade tortilla shells or a bed of lettuce with your favorite topping.