Low-carb Gluten Free Gumbo
You are probably looking at this Gumbo picture thinking that doesn’t look like traditional Gumbo, but trust me, it has all the same great flavors and is sure to fulfil any comfort food cravings you are having! This Gumbo is different in color because it is not started with a traditional dark roux that comes from using regular white flour that has gluten in it. I have found that gluten-free flour works differently; it can become gummy/clumpy if you cook it to long, or if you use too much. This recipe took a lot of trial and error to get the right consistency, but I finally got it, and now it has become one of our fall staples!
Low-Carb Gluten Free Gumbo
- 1.5 lbs Raw Chicken
- Qt water
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 12 oz Andouille sausage sliced
- 1 lb raw shrimp; peeled, deveined, tail off
- 5 TBS butter
- 4 TBS Namaste Gluten Free Perfect Flour Blend
- 1/2 large sweet onion diced
- 4 large celery stalks sliced small
- 1/2 bell pepper diced
- 1 cup fresh okra sliced *optional
- 4 garlic cloves diced
- 3-4 cups chicken or beef stock I use the stock from the shredded chicken
- 2 TBS Cajun seasoning
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place 1.5 lbs. of raw chicken in large stock pot on medium-high heat.
- Fill with about 6 cups of water, covering all of the chicken, add 2 tsp of sea salt.
- Cover and bring to a boil, turn down and let simmer for 45 minutes. Turn off and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Drain, saving 4 cups of the chicken stock, and shred. Set aside.
Sausage and Shrimp
- Place sliced andouille sausage in the same stock pot, on medium heat, browning the sausage.
- When sausage is browned, add shrimp cooking until pink. Place in separate bowl and set aside.
Gluten Free Roux
- In the same large stock pot, melt butter on low-medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk in Namaste gluten free flour making sure all clumps are gone.
- Allow to simmer on low heat until a light brown color. Do not over cook! Gluten free flour will get gummy/lumpy unlike regular flour.
Putting all the Gumbo together
- Add diced onion, sliced celery, bell pepper, okra, and garlic to the roux. Cook stirring often until vegetables are tender.
- When vegetables are tender stir in all ready cooked sausage and shrimp.
- Add 3-4 cups of water (depending on how much liquid you like) and seasoning.
- Stir in shredded chicken. Let all ingredients simmer together for about 10 minutes.
It is cold today, so Gumbo sounds like a good idea!