Happy Summer and Happy 4th of July. This year festivities will be looking different with smaller family/friend gatherings. But so thankful we are able to gather to celebrate the birth of our great Nation.
As I do almost every year at 4th of July, I will be making this amazing recipe that comes from my Grandma Jo. She would make this every year at branding out on her and my Grandfather’s Cattle ranch she was raised on in Montana. As I got older and we weren’t able to make as many branding trips due to school and sports she would make it when my brothers and I would go out to visit her in the summers. The smell of it in the oven brings back so many great childhood memories of being with her at the ranch and learning so much in the kitchen. I have made changes to the recipe to accommodate my daughter’s Celiac (gluten) issues. Even with it being gluten free there is nothing healthy about it! But there always needs to be a little room for a splurge. And I have been saving up for this splurge….
Gluten Free Rhubarb Crunch
- 2 cups Namaste gluten free perfect flour blend
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free quick oats
- 2 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup salted butter melted
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 8 cups fresh diced rhubarb
- 2 cups granulated (white) sugar
- 4 TBS cornstarch
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter
- Mix all crumb topping ingredients in a medium sized bowl; Namaste flour, gluten free oats, brown sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, xanthan gum, and salt.
- Press 1/2 of the crumb mixture in the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan. Save the other 1/2 for topping.
- Cover bottom layer of crumb mixture with fresh diced rhubarb
- In a medium saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, water, and vanilla.
- Place on medium heat, cooking and stirring until thick and clear.
- Pour over rhubarb.
- Put remaining crumb mixture on top.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 1 hour.
- May need to place baking sheet under to avoid hard to clean spills in the oven.