When you have been in isolation for a week homeschooling your kids, you start to make up drink recipes and sit in your dining room staring out at the beautiful mountain views!
About 2 weeks ago I received a text message from my kids’ amazing pediatrician, who has been a major part of our lives since my oldest Matt was born, warning us of the COVID-19 virus going around and its potential affect on our son Nick and the need to put him in isolation. Our son Nick was born with severe congenital cardiac disease and has gone through multiple surgeries and procedures. Of course my first question was what about Matt and Alivia? We were told his brother and sister had a high chance of bringing it home to him, which led us to the family being in isolation! Isolation that equals no contact with the outside world (minus the wave in the window of the occasional family member or friend leaving groceries or something on our door step that we then wipe down with Clorox wipes to bring into the house)! Yes, we feel like zoo animals waving through the window of our cage. I will say I am so thankful for the property we live on and the awesome gym setup in our shop!
Needless to say all this isolation has led me to get creative with my cocktails! This one is my new favorite and might very well be my summer drink of choice! I like to call it Isolation-rita!
Blackberry Margarita (Jalapeno option)
- 3 oz tequila or jalapeno tequila for a spicy spin
- 1/2 cutie orange juiced
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 pkg black berry lemonade great value version of crystal light
- 12 oz water
- *optinal jalapeno slices
- Stir all ingredients together, pour over ice.
This drink pairs perfectly with my “Montana” tacos…which is exactly what I served it with!
- 3 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/4 sweet onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves diced
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 1-2 TBS chili powder or more if you like.
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Low-carb tortilla shells
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup liquid egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup arrow root powder
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour/powder
- 1 TBS coconut flour
- Place meat in a large skillet on medium heat, salt. Add diced onion and diced garlic cloves. Cook until browned stirring often. Drain fat, place back on heat. Stir in tomato sauce and seasonings.
Low-carb tortilla shells
- Heat griddle to 350 degrees. Whisk all the wet ingredients in medium bowl. Whisk all the dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk trying to get rid of any lumps. Using the metal ladle, scoop the batter about 1/2-3/4 full, pour on the griddle, and swirl the batter in a circular motion with the back of the ladle. Be sure to do this gently and slowly to thin the batter into the shape of your shell. Let the shell cook until the edges are lifting off the grill, then flip cooking the other side for about 2 minutes.