With the busy holiday nights of December, this meal is an easy, flavorful dinner. It is really a year round main entree…if you grill year round. I just throw on my Muck’s, big coat and stand out in the snow to grill. The things I’ll do for a good meal!
Balsamic Grilled Tri-Tip
- 2+ lbs Tri-tip roast
- 1/8 cup serrano honey balsamic or another flavored specialty balsamic
- 1/8 cup traditional balsamic
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/8 tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp dried basil
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Mix vinegar, olive oil, and minced garlic bowl.
- Mortar/Grind rosemary and basil in a spice mortar, add to the vinegar mix.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Place roast in a 13×9 pan, pour marinade over the top, rotate roast several times making sure marinade covers all sides.
- Cover and place in fridge 4-8 hours, rotating roast occasionally.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling. Pre-heat grill on high heat.
- Place tri-tip roast on heated grill, saving any left-over marinade in dish, searing both sides for 4 minutes.
- Be sure to watch carefully to avoid grill flame ups.
- Turn grill down to low-medium heat and grill meat rotating 1 time for additional 15 minutes (about 7.5 minutes each side) for medium rare.
- For more well-done grill additional minutes.
- Remove from grill and let rest covered for 7-10 minutes.
- While roast is resting place saved marinade in small saucepan on low-medium heat on stove. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Slice Tri-tip thin with the grain of the meat, drizzle with balsamic sauce.