Simple and Tasty! Here is a great Italian stew full of protein that is sure to fill everyone’s belly and satisfy their taste buds without all of the empty calories. Of course, it would be even better with a great loaf of crusty bread, but then it ruins the value of the meal. Just simply sprinkle with grated parmesan and serve with Garden Fresh Salad.
Italian Chicken Stew
- 3.5 LBS Chicken breast
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced preferably sweet
- 4 celery stalks sliced
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced about 1 cup
- 2 14.5 oz canned petite diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp better then bouillon
- 4 cups saved chicken stock
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place raw chicken breast in a stock pot with the 6 cups of water and 1 tsp of salt. Bring chicken to a boil covered. Once at a boil turn down and let simmer for 45 minutes. When done remove chicken from pot and place on a cutting board to cool. Save 4 cups of the water/broth that you cooked the chicken in and set aside.
- In the same stock pot you cooked the chicken in, heat olive oil, add onion, celery, and carrot. Allow vegetables to sautee until tender. Add the 2 cans of petite diced tomatoes (undrained). Let simmer for 2-4 minutes. Add the tomato paste, 4 cups of chicken stock, and Better then Bouillon. Now that the chicken has cooled, shred, stir into the vegetables and chicken stock. Stir in the fresh chopped basil. Salt and pepper to taste.
Garden Fresh Salad
- 4 cups Mixed greens of choice I like the addition of arugula
- 2 green onion stalks or 1/8 of a sweet onion diced
- 1 1/2 oz of shredded sharp white cheddar I use Tillamook vintage reserve
- 1 TBS of olive oil (Kirkland extra virgin)
- 2 TBS of Traditional aged balsamic vinegar from the specialty vinegar store (I use a garlic cilantro flavored or serrano honey)
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place mixed greens, onion, and cheese in an over sized bowl. Drizzle olive oil and vinegar on top. Salt and pepper. Then toss with salad tongs.
This will make enough to have plenty of left overs for your lunches for the week. Enjoy!
I made this tonight for the family. Super easy and yummy!! I love when stuff is healthy and tastes amazing. Thanks Tessa!
This recipe was SO good!! My entire family loved it and all had seconds. Great food, healthy living❤️